It has been found out that the cops sometimes treat the accused very badly by creating injuries in their bodies and sometimes end up dead at the hand of the police officers. According to some studies, the outcome is due to too much stress in the job. So there should be need of stress management training for the officers to come over this situation.
In this training, they will learn coping mechanisms which are prescribed by our doctors for less stressful jobs. These are yoga meditation, power yoga, consulting with a nutritionist, and modifying our sleep patterns. For example, the truck drivers need enough sleep for major safety issues. Thus more and more experts now say that over-stressed, over-fatigued, over-worked police officers become a danger not only to themselves but also others.
Every year it is seen that the suicide rate of police officers is more than the national average and the in general average lifespan of police officers is 10 years shorter than the national average. The host of mental and physical health challenges officers has been found that the main cause behind it is sleep deprivation. The National Institute of Justice says police officers have more sleep disorders than the general public.
In these situations doctors prescribe yoga to stay fit and reduce work pressure. At first, there is no necessity to do excess yoga. You can start with a simple therapy to begin your journey toward reducing stress in your life:
1.Belly Breathing: You can do this by sitting in a chair or in the patrol car. Sit straight to make your spine straight without slouching. Then put one hand on the lower belly area. Inhale slowly and pump up the belly like a balloon and observe the belly expand by your hand. Then exhale slowly through the nose and observe the belly reducing by your hand. Do this for 5 minutes by counting up to three during inhale and increase the exhale by counting up to five.
2.Pranayamas to relieve anxiety
Pranayamas can help in making the mind free from the unnecessary clutter of thoughts which generate anxiety. Kapal Bhati Pranayama and Bhastrika Pranayama are good for relieving anxiety. Nadi Shodhan Pranayama is also useful in reducing stress.
3. Balasana(child pose)
According to the Sanskrit words ‘bala’ (बाल) means child and ‘asana’ (आसन) means pose. This asana looks like the position of the fetal. This is a resting pose and it centers on the thighs and it’s another pro to lessen back pains. If you practice this asana with a full gravitational pull, you can find a great sense of mental, physical, and emotional relief.
When you are tired continually, you tend to put a lot of pressure on the adrenal glands, which can lead too much suffer exhaustion. Child’s Pose soothes the adrenals, so practice this pose regularly.
1. Kneel down on the floor and joint your big toes to each other and sit on your heels. When you are comfortable, spread your knees hip-width at a distance and inhale.
2. Bend forward, and put your upper body between the thighs and breathe out.
3. Now, widen the sacrum all across the back of the pelvis, and narrow the points of your hip as if they point towards the navel. Stay down on the inner thighs.
4. Broaden the tailbone away from the back of the pelvis when you raise the base of your head slightly away from the back of the neck.
5. Stretch your hands forward and put them in front of you, as if they are kept in a straight line with your knees. Release the fronts of your shoulder to the floor.
As this asana is a resting pose, you can do this pose anywhere for at least three minutes.
4. Uttanasana(Standing with folding the upper body)
Uttanasana helps in making quite a tiring mind, balance the nervous system, and supports feelings of calm and quiet. It also helps to balance the sacral chakra when it is overstimulated, fluctuated and you feel excessive emotional.
1. Stand straight on keep your hands on your hips and inhale.
2. Then exhale, soften your knees and bend forward, folding from the hips. At this time you have to balance the weight of your body and move your hips and tailbone somewhat back that the other part of your body moves forward.
3. Always keep your knees soft when you do this. By this yoga, your buttocks will point up and your hips to go toward the upper thighs.
4. Then put your hands relaxing on the ground, with your feet. Keep a distance between your feet. At this time your chest will float over your feet. Increase the space between your chest bone and pubis. Try to feel the fold and if you feel it from the bend of your lower back, there must be something wrong.
5. You must feel a stretch in your cramps, and if you have not such type of feeling, expand your knees a little more.
6. Move the thighs inward, and stand with your heels. This will be helpful for better placement.
7. In this position, your head will hang and the crown will reach the floor. When you want to leave the pose, contract the heart and the abdomen muscles. Inhale by putting your hand on the hips. Go up slowly, without making elongation on your back. Keep a distance between your pubis and chest bone and try to stand slowly.