Irrfan Khan, an actor who has dominated Bollywood for years with films like Piku, The lunchbox, Paan Singh Tomar, is now in the news for the reason that is merely indigestible for his fans; his rare disease. The actor recently tweeted about his horrifying ailment- Neuroendocrine tumor (NET) and how the problem has mandated him to fly out of the country. We are all known to the saying that a stitch in time saves nine, similarly, when an individual is familiar to the early signs and treatment of a particular disease, healing becomes expeditious and on the cards. Here is everything that you really need to know about the rare condition- Neuroendocrine disorder:
What is a neuroendocrine tumor?
An endocrine tumor is basically a condition where an abnormal tissue growth arises in the hormone-producing cells. But when these cells are also nerve cells, the tumor is called a neuroendocrine tumor. The neuroendocrine tumor can develop in various areas of the human body. If detected early, the neuroendocrine tumor is treatable.
What causes neuroendocrine tumor?
The cause of neuroendocrine tumor is unknown.
What are the symptoms of neuroendocrine tumor?
- The symptoms differ depending on the part that is affected.
- A NET in the digestive system can cause pain in the digestive area and can make an individual feel nauseated.
- A NET in the lungs can lead to chest infections and shortness of breath.
- Loss of appetite and weight loss is also observed.
- NETs of the small/large bowel or appendix cause diarrhea, flushing of the skin and wheezing.
How to treat neuroendocrine tumor?
The treatment of neuroendocrine tumor depends on the type of tumor, how intense it is and if it has spread to the other parts of the body. Generally, surgery is the first and foremost treatment choice. If the NET cannot be removed, other therapeutic methods like yoga can be used to improve the quality of life.
How yoga benefits neuroendocrine tumor treatment?
- When individuals are diagnosed with a dreadful sickness, their minds begin to wander in only unwanted directions. Yoga on the contrary, aids individuals to hold on to their good thoughts and thus indirectly amplify the entire recovery process.
- Yoga also helps individuals to channelize their mental energy towards the source of the problem and enhance the will for the solution.
- Diseases like cancer take time to leave the body thus compelling a person to be strong both inside out. A patient who is already fighting an internal battle of thoughts will be unable to fight the gruesome external battle against cancer. Basically, yoga fetches off the mat benefits by preparing the patient for the rigorous therapeutic path ahead.
- Yoga works in 3 ways: before, during and after the malady. When we say before, we mean that it augments the overall immunity this evacuating the occurrence of the disease and when we say after we mean it promises optimal retrieval and speeds up the process.
All in all, yoga is not the key solution for everything, but it definitely makes the journey easy; mentally and physically! We hope and pray that Irrfan Khan paves his way through!