Everybody experiences back pain at some point in his or her life. 1 in every 10 individuals has a persistent lower back problem. Some studies suggest that back pain causes disability in people more than any other ailment. India is a country with a majority of young people and therefore the problem of back pain needs to be tackled now more than ever.
While there are several reasons for this seemingly simple disorder, the following are the most common ones:
- Sitting for long hours
- Bending frequently
- Lifting a heavy weight in an in correct posture
- Sitting slouched
- Excess body weight
- Weak core stability
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Like most diseases, back pain is far easier to prevent than it is to treat.
A few simple tweaks and trims in your lifestyle can ensure you never have to face this pain in your back!
- Exercising regularly (few of the exercises are shown above) is the single most effective factor in keeping your back healthy.
- If your job requires you to remain seated for a long time, ensure that you get up at least once in every 45 minutes and walk a few steps. This allows your back to take a break from a sustained position.
- While you are seated, pay close attention to your posture. Ideally use a straight back chair with a low-back (lumbar) support to help you sit correctly.
- Make sure your feet rest comfortably on the ground. If not, please use a small stool under your feet for support.
- Using a firm mattress when you sleep is good for the back as it provides a healthy support throughout the night.
- To lift heavy objects, bend at the knees and squat instead of bending at the waist, which pressurizes the back.
- Maintain a healthy body weight– Having a massive lower body (especially in the abdominal region) causes an extra amount of stress to your back which can lead to a persistent back pain.
- Avoid smoking- Smokers’ cough, an inevitable phenomenon seen in chain-smokers, harms your lower back and thus the best solution would be to avoid smoking altogether.
For those of you, who already have a back problem, consult a physiotherapist to diagnose and treat you for the same. A few correct exercises performed regularly and correctly will go a long way in keeping your back healthy and pain-free.