Pelvic muscles present in both men and women hold the organs and structures of the lower abdomen thus ensuring correct urologic, colorectal and sexual task executions.
Pelvic floor muscle dysfunction is a disorder that is extremely common but not limited to women above the age of 40 resulting in frequent urination or bowel movement, accidental urine/bowel leakage, difficulty in urinating/emptying bowel and pain in the lower body especially near the pelvic section. In order to save yourself from the potential hazard, it is essential to keep the pelvic muscles in shape with yoga exercises. Here are 5 easy yoga exercises that you can resort to for strengthened and aptly functioning pelvic floor muscles:
- Stand with your feet at hip width distance and toes pointed.
- Bend down on your hips in a way like you are about to sit on the floor. While bending down make sure your knees are flared up.
- As you drop down, you can press your hands in a Namaste or keep your palms rested on the back of your head; as you feel comfortable.
- When down, hold the pose till you feel a decent stretch.
2. Supine bound angle pose:
- Lie flat on your back.
- Now spread your left knee on your left and right knee on your right in a way that the soles of your feet touch each other.
- If your hips are tight, you can use pillows/blocks.
- For an intense stretch, you can flutter your knees closer to the ground.
3. Bridge Pose:
- Lie on your back, eyes closed and arms on respective sides of your body.
- Bend your knees in a way that your foot looks like a right angle. Post bending, your fingers should slightly touch your heels.
- Gluing your neck and spine on the floor; with pressure on your hips, glutes, and feet raise your body in the air.
- Your shoulder, back, and knee should be in a straight line, and body weight should be distributed equally on them.
4. Leg up the wall pose:
- Leg up the wall pose is literally as it sounds. Simply lie down on the floor and put both your legs on the wall.
- Your body should resemble a right angle.
- Leg up is mainly focused on relaxing the pelvic muscles.
- While your legs are on the wall, breathe deeply and slowly; feeling every ounce of air entering and leaving your body. With every breath taken, you are pumping oxygen to your pelvic muscles thus promoting enhanced functioning and easing.
5. Warrior pose:
- Reputed to stretch your inner thighs and simultaneously brace your leg muscles, this asana transforms the vigor of your overall lower body region.
- Open your legs wide and raise your hands in the air keeping them parallel to the ground.
- Now, bend down your right knee at 90 degrees in a way that your left leg is stagnant.
- Inhale, exhale.
- Repeat with the process with the other leg.
Pelvic floor muscles are sensitive, and even the slightest negligence can lead to irrevocable damage thus mandating you to perform yoga exercises under expert guidance. Whether you feel conscious of performing pelvic yoga exercises at the yoga studio or find an excuse to compromise on health every now and then, yoga services at home is an easy escape for both!