Nobody is unknown to the benefits of yoga but did you know that yoga is powerful enough to combat breast cancer? Be it as a preventive backing or as a healing measure post-surgery, yoga proves to be an excellent tool for recuperation. Here is a list of 5 yoga asanas that form to be crucial steps of breast care whether or not breast cancer has victimized you:
1. Fish pose:
Fish pose is popular as the heart opening pose as it stretches the throat, chest, abdomen, hip flexors and intercostal; all in one go!
- Begin by lying on your back; with legs extended and arms placed alongside your body.
- Pressing your forearms and elbows firmly into the ground, tilt your chin upwards till your crown touches the floor.
- Make sure you keep the pressure on the shoulder/arms and not on the head.
- Hold the pose for about five seconds and rest down to repeat for 10 times.
2. Bridge Pose:
Bridge pose is the literal bridge between a traumatized you and a healthy you!
- Lie supine on your mat.
- If you are an amateur, place a thickly folded blanket under your shoulders to dodge unnecessary injury and for the ease of pose.
- Bent your knees and exhale as you raise your tailbone into the air. This final pose should resemble a bridge.
- Stay in this posture for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, as you feel comfortable. Take slow and deep breaths during this period.
3. Hero pose:
Hero pose is a classic seated posture. Though the go-to asana in yoga for pregnant women, the hero pose works as a charm towards harmonized mental and physical wellbeing.
- Kneel down on the mat; keeping your inner knees together and thighs perpendicular to the floor.
- Opening your feet slightly, keep the top of your feet flat on the mat and big toes touching each other thus forming an inverted V.
- Now sit down on your heels and rest weight equally on both the heels.
- Sit straight and raise your shoulder blades away from your ribs and feel your chest opening up to new positivity.
- Breathe in, breathe out and witness how light your chest feels after 5-6 breaths.
4. Warrior-II pose:
A woman fighting against breast cancer is definitely a warrior and this yoga exercise for breast cancer recovery pushes her to acknowledge the same.
- Wrap up one of your legs and bend it forward. The now bent leg should be at 90 degrees or right angle to the ground.
- Keeping one leg stagnant, stretch the second leg till you feel the pressure on your hamstring and thighs.
- While you stretch your legs, open your arms like Shahrukh Khan’s signature pose or simply parallel to the ground.
- Hold this asana for 5-7 breaths, regain original position and switch legs before repeating.
5. Corpse Pose:
Though sleeping is loved by all, putting oneself in a zone of tranquility, away from life’s detriments is not a cakewalk. Corpse pose is a yoga asana for breast cancer recovery that is easier said than done because here you do not only relax your body but also your mind.
- Lie down on your yoga mat like all your worries have been erased.
- Embrace yourself, the challenges breast cancer is bringing to you, surrender and learn to let go!
Breast cancer is a malady that brings complementary discomforts with it; fatigue, nausea, immobility and weakness to name a few. As yoga asanas indispensably boosts overall strength, alleviates anxiety, amplifies blood flow and betters cardiovascular and bone health, they become a shield against the accompaniments.
Battling with breast cancer is not easy. The least certified yoga tutors from Healers at Home do is extend their support by providing yoga for breast cancer at your doorstep because we believe that solitude and convenience is extremely vital during this delicate stage. Drop us a line for an in-depth discussion.